USD $19.00/Hr. -
The Natural Grocers by Vitamin Cottage (NGVC) Nutrition Manager/
Nutritional Health Coach (NHC) position is a dual multi-faceted
position, which emphasizes employee/customer education, sales and
promotion, community relationship building, and retail operations.
As the store’s nutrition professional, the primary responsibility
of the NHC position is to provide science-based nutrition
education/training to the store crew, our customers and the
community as a whole, and drive store sales. The NHC is responsible
for driving sales throughout the entire store, the supplement
department, and the Nutrient to Know About specifically. The
Nutrition Manager/NHC position is integral to fulfilling Natural
Grocers guiding founding principle of providing nutrition education
to empower our communities and employees to achieve health.
A. The Nutrition Manager/Nutritional Health Coach functions as the
professional nutrition education resource for customers, employees
and community members providing information on dietary supplements,
food quality, nutrition, and company differentiators; drives store
sales through community outreach, employee education, and promotion
of NHC services, products, and events; and is a vitamin aisle
employee with the same job responsibilities as all vitamin aisle
B. Skills required:
- Excellent public speaking skills
- Confidence in front of an audience providing cooking
- Ability to engage customers and start conversations about
products to drive sales
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Excellent organizational skills and priority management
- Self-directed and able to maximize time management
- Able to work well with a team and accept constructive
- Motivated to grow and develop knowledge and skills
C. Nutrition Manager/Nutritional Health
Coach Weekly Overview
1. For the NHC to successfully
complete all responsibilities outlined in the job description the
schedule requires a 40 hour workweek.
a. Two days working in the vitamin
b. One day conducting individual coaching sessions with
c. One day "office" time:
- Seek outreach opportunities and develop community
- Develop and implement local store marketing strategies to
promote the in-store customer nutrition education classes, cooking
demonstrations, and other store events and services in the store
and out in the community.
- Prepare for and conduct in-store classes, employee trainings,
and community outreach
- Complete continued education
d. One day conducting outreach
presentations, in-store customer nutrition education classes or
NUTRITIONAL HEALTH COACH
A. Educate employees and customers about nutrition, all products,
and optimal health/healthy living with the intention of supporting
1. Conduct the nutrition portion of
the Health Hotline/good4u crew trainings.
2. Pull reports for employee LMS “Take-15” and Health Hotline
3. Create and maintain an employee “Glad You Asked” question
4. Prepare for and present in-store customer nutrition education
5. Prepare for and conduct outreach presentations.
B. Conduct Sit-Down/In-Store
Nutritional Health Coaching Sessions
C. Build relationships with community partners by spreading
awareness of Natural Grocer’s store services. This includes:
1. Seeking outreach presentation
2. Establishing relationships with practitioners who recommend
supplements and coaching services to their clients
3. Promoting in-store classes and events outside of the store or on
4. Researching and contacting potential groups to use the store’s
5. Researching and contacting potential guest presenters
D. Stay current with Natural Grocers
by Vitamin Cottage NHC materials as a means of continued
1. Read and study the material
provided by the Nutrition Education Department such as Health
Hotline training material, NHC FYIs, NED bulletin and newsletters,
in-store class material, continuing education, etc.
2. Follow directions for assigned health supportive statement
E. Participate in Regional NHC
F. Attend Nutritional Health Coach Meetings for ongoing training
G. Conduct Book Club discussion group for customers and employees.
This is an optional responsibility.
A. Collaborate with the store manager on the development and
implementation of the store’s Nutrient to Know About
B. Take an active leadership role in the planning and execution of
store sales promotions, Natural Grocer’s Employee Wellness
Challenges, and other initiatives coordinated by the Home
C. Stay informed of key store performance metrics including
Nutrient to Know About sales, turkey sales, vitamin sales/mix, and
outreach coupon usage and redemption.
D. Maintain and oversee the Political Campaign Center.
E. Maintain the Customer Literature Files Cabinet.
F. Assist the Vitamin Manager with ordering books by maintaining
the book department inventory, appearance, and reference books.
G. Assist with creating product displays (for events, featured
books, and company sales focuses).
H. Work with the grocery and vitamin managers to make sure the
items that you recommend are consistently stocked. Maintain a
written list and give the list to the appropriate department
I. Coach staff on using health supportive
statements when engaging with customers.
J. Keep staff informed on talking points related to upcoming
events, classes, promotions, and company initiatives.
K. Conduct new employee NHC Meet & Greets
VITAMIN AISLE DUTIES
A. Customer service is the primary responsibility of every
employee. NHCs are considered key vitamin aisle employees, as a
nutrition resource for customers as well as employees. While the
NHC is considered a key vitamin aisle employee, he or she should be
prepared to assist customers in any section/department of the store
and may be assigned to work in other departments as needed.
1. Greet customers as you work in
the vitamin aisle.
2. Serve as the store’s primary source of nutrition
3. Help customers find products.
4. Answer customer questions.
5. Answer the phone.
6. Take special orders.
7. Educate customers and help them make informed choices.
8. Engage in conversations with customers to promote sales and
9. Promote the Nutrient to Know About with customers.
10. Promote NHC classes and other store events and promotions to
B. Serve as Event Ambassador as assigned by
C. Other vitamin aisle duties: the Vitamin Manager will provide the
NHC with daily tasks when the NHC is scheduled for floor duty:
1. Stock/Back stock.
2. Face product.
3. Check product expiration dates.
4. Store cleaning.
D. Front End work. All employees are
responsible for supporting cashiers and making sure customers are
processed through in a timely manner. Keep in mind this is a very
important aspect of customer service.
1. Be prepared to help with bagging
assistance, assisting customers to their car, and cart checks when
2. NHCs should use this opportunity to be a role model to other
employees on how to effectively promote in-store events and their
A. The Store Manager
1. Responsible for
assigning duties to support the needs of the store.
2. Responsible for creating a set schedule that must remain the
3. Responsible for performance evaluations and raise
B. The NHC Regional Manager
1. Responsible for
coordinating NHC training on-going position support and training,
2. Provides input to Store Manager for performance evaluations and
3. If a store is not
assigned an NHC Regional Manager, an NED representative will
provide ongoing support to the NHC and will complete the NHC’s
annual, Health Hotline employee training, and Coaching
C. The overall supervisor of the NHC
Program is the Executive Vice President of Natural Grocers by
a. Responsible for defining the parameters
of the position and defining the direction of the NHC Program.
b. Will provide input to the Store Manager and NHC Regional Manager
about performance for evaluation purposes.
MAINTAINING NUTRITION KNOWLEDGE AND
1. A professional position is never static. The nutrition field is
a dynamic one, with new information constantly coming to light.
NHCs must stay current with nutrition research, nutrition
information and new developments in the field. This is in addition
to the education provided by the company. NHCs must complete 16
hours of Continuing Education (CE) time on the clock each year.
Opportunities for CE include reading, attending seminars, listening
to recommended podcasts, webinars, and networking with other
2. If an NHC’s degree and/or certification require continuing
education to maintain the degree and/or certification, then the NHC
must fulfill those requirements.
1. NHCs are to be professional at all times and provide appropriate
leadership for the staff and the store.
2. NHCs are responsible for driving store sales and promotions
through employee and customer education.
3. Leader effectiveness requires treating people decently while at
the same time successfully motivating them toward high performance
in their work.
4. Positive and calm communication with staff and customers is
expected at all times.
5. Show the highest level of respect and integrity in day-to-day
actions in the store with both employees and customers.
6. Do the job in a consistent, calm, and positive manner. Present
an unflappable demeanor to other employees and to the customers at
all times. It is never appropriate for NHCs to yell or express
frustration on the sales floor or to yell at an employee or a
7. As a professional member of the staff of the store, NHCs are a
representative of Natural Grocers by Vitamin Cottage to our
employees and our customers; we expect NHCs to represent Natural
Grocers by Vitamin Cottage as a just, fair, respectful, caring,
compassionate, and honorable company to work for and shop with.
This can only be done if the NHC demonstrates the highest level of
integrity, responsibility, and excellence.
Although this is a general outline of job
responsibilities all employees are expected to be ''hands on'' and
do whatever it takes to get the job done and make the company
Education, Skills &
- NHCs are required to have a degree/certification in nutrition
or a related field (e.g., dietetics,Bachelors of Science or Masters
in biology, biochemistry, naturopathy) from a college or university
accredited by a regional and/or national accrediting agency
recognized by the U.S. Secretary of Education as reliable, or from
a college or university accredited by the Canadian government.
Additionally, the school must have higher education approval from
the state commission.
- Proof of education must be submitted at time of application.
Continuing education, if required to maintain degree/certification,
must be fulfilled throughout tenure of employment. Proof of
maintenance of degree/certification must be submitted as
- NHCs must be able to obtain and maintain liability
- Must have the ability to lift 50 lbs, repetitive lifting up to
- Must be able to carry up to 50 lbs.
- Requires the use of both arms and both hands with full range of
- Must be able to bend at the waist and knees, twist, push and
pull on occasional basis
- Must be able to kneel, squat, and climb as needed
- Must be able to reach overhead and away from the body
- Must be able to stand for at least 90% of the time
- Must be able to walk for at least 90% of the time
- Nutritional Health Coaches must have a reliable vehicle
that can be used to travel in their metro area to participate in
community outreach events and community relationship building
Although this is a general outline of job
responsibilities all employees are expected to be “hands on” and do
whatever it takes to get the job done and make the company
thrive.This job description is not an employment contract; it does
not guarantee you a job or guarantee that the above listed duties
are the limit of your responsibilities. Your job and job
description are subject to change with and without notice, and you
are required to accomplish any and all tasks assigned to you by
your store manager or other corporate supervisors that may not
be listed in this job description.
Here’s an overview of the benefits we offer our
good4u Crew to help ensure the health and wellbeing of you and
your family, now and well into the future:
All Crew Members
- Birthday Bonus
- Vitamin Bucks
(up to $2,080 earned as store credit
Pay for 5 Holidays – Stores Closed
- Paid Time Off
(sick days and vacation) that Increases with
- Paid Nutrition
- good4u Crew
Program (customer appreciation and rewards
Scheduled Pay Increases
Advancement Opportunities and Career
- Health and
Assistance Program (EAP)
Full-Time Crew Members (30+ hours/week)
Dental and Vision Insurance
- Paid Parental Leave
- Paid Medical
Leave (through company
paid short-term disability insurance)
- Company Paid
Short-Term Disability Insurance
- Company Paid
Benefits Including Hospital Indemnity, Accident Insurance,
Long-Term Disability Insurance, Term Life
Savings Plan (401k) with
discretionary Company Match
- Healthcare and
Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account
- Health Savings
Account (HSA) with Company Match
At the heart
of Natural Grocers' commitment to our community and crew is
this belief: All people should be empowered to experience
health and wellbeing! We cannot be true to this conviction
without honoring diversity and cultivating inclusion throughout
every aspect of our organization.
Grocers, we honor our differences, embrace diversity, and
cultivate inclusion because both individual and societal health are
rooted in these principles. Our Crew is diverse not only in
gender, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, religion, abilities,
and age but also in cultural backgrounds, thoughts, and ideas.
Celebrating our diversity refreshes, expands, and shapes our
perspective, energizing our mission of equitable access to health
and wellness for all. We welcome everyone who would like to join us
in this mission, with gratitude for the unique life experience each
person brings to the table. We’re committed to nurturing an
ecosystem of diversity and inclusion in which our Crew can continue