Company: Utah State University
Posted on: May 12, 2022
Requisition ID: 2022-5026
# of Openings: 1
Category: Student Programs & Services
Position Type: Benefited Full-Time
Job Classification: Exempt
College: College of Engineering
Advertised Salary: Commensurate with experience, plus excellent
The College of Engineering Advising Center (COE) is seeking to hire
an academic advisor to assist students in the development of
academic plans and class schedules as well as assess academic
level, attend to student academic inquiries, assist in the
resolution of individual academic problems, and advise on academic
program changes. The advisor also prepares students' graduation
applications for the Dean's approval and assists students in
semester-by-semester planning in preparation for declaring a
The Academic Advisor reports to the Associate Dean. This
classification may supervise student employees.
- Provide advising services in person, by phone, or by
- Provide accurate information related to curriculum, graduation
requirements and university policies and procedures.
- Maintain and update student files and track student progress
toward stated major, graduation and other educational goals
utilizing electronic systems.
- Utilizing software such as DegreeWorks, Argos, Banner and
Microsoft Office Suite for student advising.
- Provide information and strategies to utilize available campus
resources and services.
- Maintain confidentiality.
- Assist students in making responsible and informed decisions
impacting academic progress.
- Encourage and guide students as they define and develop
- Help students to understand the expected standards of
achievement and likelihood of success in areas of study as well as
provide them information about alternatives, limitations and
possible consequences of academic decisions.
- Identify academically at-risk students and connect those
students with appropriate resources to facilitate student
- Maintain records and documentation of advising
- Learn and stay current on the academic policies and rules of
the departments in the college of engineering and the courses
required outside of the College of Engineering
- Assist in other advising areas as needed.
Operational Duties (10%)
- Attend and participate in all training meetings and conferences
for advisors and student service personnel as scheduled.
- Assist in administrative tasks such as helping to host COE
activities (Orientation, graduation, etc.).
- Bachelors degree from an accredited university is required.
- Broad knowledge of USUs academic programs, general education
requirements, graduation requirements and student services.
- Positive experience advising students at a university or in
- Understanding and experience with engineering or science
curricula and careers.
- Masters degree in a related field.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Verbal and written communication skills and effective public
speaking skills including ability to communicate with individuals
as well as groups.
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment with multiple
demands and changing needs.
- Ability to work collaboratively within a team environment.
- Ability to work with students in 1:1 or group advising
- Ability to learn and stay current of complex program
requirements, policies and procedures.
- Ability to work with diverse student backgrounds.
- Knowledge of and proficiency in a variety of current and
emerging technology platforms.
- The advisor is expected to possess and demonstrate the
- Communicating: Communicates effectively both verbally and in
- Problem solving: Analyzes information and evaluates results to
select the best solution and solve problems.
- Monitoring: Measures performance of self; makes improvements
and takes appropriate corrective action.
- Critical Thinking: Comes to well-reasoned conclusions,
solutions, and approaches to problems.
- Team Building: Works to create a team-based environment.
Consistently demonstrates cooperative behavior with colleagues,
supervisors, and customers.
- Active Listening: Gives full attention when others are
speaking; listens to understand, asks questions as appropriate, and
does not interrupt.
- Service Orientation: Actively seeks opportunities to help
- Conflict Resolution: Acts professionally when encountering
customers who, at times, may be frustrated.
Applicants are asked to submit the following,
- A detailed resume that includes the a) name of any post high
school degrees, grade-point average, and the institution where the
degree was earned.
- A cover letter that includes descriptions of the applicants
experiences and accomplishments that demonstrate their proficiency
in the fundamental abilities, knowledge and skills as listed. The
cover letter should also address any experience or accomplishments
that demonstrate the preferred qualifications.
- A list of at least 3 professional references is required.
Commensurate with experience, plus excellent benefits
Employees work indoors and are protected from weather and/or
contaminants, but not, necessarily, occasional temperature changes.
The employee is regularly required to sit and often uses repetitive
Utah State University (USU) was founded in 1888 and is Utahs
land-grant and space-grant university. USU is one of only 146
research institutions in the U.S. classified as R1 "very high
research activity" by the Carnegie Classification of Institutions
of Higher Education. As one of the two premier research
institutions in Utah, USU provides a high-quality education at an
affordable price. With its main campus in Logan, the university
serves approximately 27,500 students, including 24,255
undergraduates and 3,171 graduate students. USU Online has served
students from all 50 states and 55 countries for 25 years.
USUs statewide system features three residential campuses, 30 total
campus locations, and 23 Extension education centers. The
university employees 903 full-time faculty members, 124 executive
administrators, and 1,649 full-time support staff. USU offers 115
undergraduate majors, as well as 91 masters and 42 doctoral
degrees. Learn more about USU.
A core characteristic of USU is engagement with communities and
people in economic development, improvements to quality of life,
and human capital. Through the practical application of knowledge,
the University and its faculty engage and share expertise with the
state, nation, and world, preserving the historical land-grant
tradition of partnering with communities to address critical
societal issues in the interest of the public good.
The USU main campus is located in beautiful Logan, Utah, a city of
about 50,000 situated in a picturesque mountain valley about 80
miles north of Salt Lake City. Outstanding recreational
opportunities abound in the nearby mountains and proximate
USU is sensitive to the needs of dual career couples and provides a
Dual Career Assistance program to support careers for partners who
are also seeking employment.
USU endeavors to provide reasonable accommodations to ensure equal
access in all aspects of employment to qualified persons with
disabilities. To request a reasonable accommodation for a
disability, please contact the universitys ADA Coordinator in the
Human Resource office at 435-797-0122 or submit a request at
USU Land Acknowledgment
Please visit our website to learn about Utah States land
acknowledgment of the eight tribes of Utah.
Notice of Non-discrimination
In its programs and activities, including in admissions and
employment, Utah State University does not discriminate or tolerate
discrimination, including harassment, based on race, color,
religion, sex, national origin, age, genetic information, sexual
orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, status as a
protected veteran, or any other status protected by University
policy, Title IX, or any other federal, state, or local law.
The following individuals have been designated to handle inquiries
regarding the application of Title IX and its implementing
regulations and/or USUs non-discrimination policies:
Executive Director of the Office of Equity Matthew Pinner,
firstname.lastname@example.org, Old Main Rm. 161, 435-797-1266
Title IX Coordinator Hilary Renshaw, email@example.com, Old Main Rm.
For further information regarding non-discrimination, please visit
https://equity.usu.edu/, or contact:
U.S. Department of Education, Office of Assistant Secretary for
Civil Rights, 800-421-3481, OCR@ed.gov
U.S. Department of Education, Denver Regional Office, 303-844-5695,
- updated 04/18/2022
To apply, visit
Keywords: Utah State University, Logan , Academic Advisor, Other , Logan, Utah
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!