Embedded Systems Engineer
Company: Campbell Scientific, Inc.
Posted on: May 21, 2023
Embedded Systems Engineer
(1 permanent salary Full-Time position, located in Logan, UT)
Department: Research & Development, Electrical Engineering
Status: Full-Time, Salary, Exempt
(8:00am - 5:00pm)
Our teams design and build products that make a difference to people all over the world. Whether the application is small or large, we take pride in what we design, build, and provide to our customers. Our teams approach every problem with integrity, curiosity and creativity, in order to continually work towards creating better products that solve real-world problems. We are seeking an Embedded Systems Engineer to join us and help us work towards designing and creating the best possible solutions to meet the evolving needs of our global customers.
We Are Campbell Scientific
We work to make a difference and help those working to advance science and technology for the benefit of humankind. Through our advanced measurement systems, our goal is to provide key insights to people using science and technology to solve massive global challenges including severe weather, climate change, limited natural resources, sustainable food production, energy production and distribution, and infrastructure safety.
What's in it For You?
- Industry competitive salaries
- A premium benefits package. We have competitive Paid Time Off; Medical, Dental, Vision, and Hearing Insurance with no premiums based on Full Time 40-hour weeks; Long-Term and Short-Term Disability; AD&D; 401(k) and a Profit-Sharing Plan; and Gym Memberships.
- A great work culture where we work hard and make the time to enjoy both our work and the people around us
- Challenging and engaging work that makes a difference on a global scale
What You'll Work On
The Embedded Systems Engineer plans, designs, tests, and maintains electronic hardware and software with an emphasis on electronic hardware development. The ESE confers with CSI personnel, customers, and others to design and develop the embedded firmware. They must convey these designs to production and marketing personnel with clear communication and proper documentation. The ESE uses engineering design software, laboratory instruments, and other equipment to perform assignments by applying principles and techniques of electrical engineering and computer science. The ESE understands complex engineering concepts and utilizes this knowledge to advance new, user-friendly, state-of-the-art equipment and systems. The ESE may, at times, have responsibility for training, mentoring, or supervising other technical staff as well as project management.
You'll Support Your Team by Performing the Following Key Tasks
- Apply principles and techniques of electrical and computer engineering for product design.
- Communicate effectively with other coworkers, departments, and customers via verbal and written dialog and design documentation.
- Learn and follow standard CSI operating procedures for the design process, manufacturing, and other operations.
What We're Looking For
- Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Computer Science, or equivalent education
- Minimum 1 year of relevant practical experience in employment or college projects.
- Able to perform routine engineering work applying standard techniques, procedures, and criteria.
- Competency in development using the following:
- Digital circuitry and microcontrollers
- Hardware-level "bare-metal" embedded code
- Real-time operating systems
- Programming theory and syntax including C, C++, etc.
- Communication hardware and software including USB, Ethernet, SPI, I2C, RS-232, CAN, SDI-12, WIFI, Bluetooth, GPS, SD memory, etc.
- General knowledge of the following:
- Electronic schematics and circuit board assembly
- Electronic laboratory test equipment
- Computer hardware and software
- Application of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and physics
- Embedded code development and debug tools
- Ability to fulfill work responsibilities under moderate supervision, in team settings, as well as individually.
- Demonstrated competence in verbal and written communication skills in English
- Experience in analytical, strategic, and innovative thinking
- Someone aligned with our ARCTIC Values (Accountability, Respect, Client-centric, Teamwork, Innovation and Continuous Improvement)
- Someone who places importance on working hard, having fun, and building great relationships with their peers.
- A fully competent engineer in the subject matter or the functional areas of the assignments. Able to Independently evaluate, select, and apply standard engineering techniques, procedures, and criteria, using judgment in making adaptations and modifications.
- Expertise in development using any of the following:
- Wireless communications interfaces like spread-spectrum radios, cellular networks, Wi-Fi, LoRa, IoT, Bluetooth, etc.
- TCP/IP and related communications protocols
- Multi-core processors
- Digital signal processing hardware and algorithms
- FPGAs using Verilog or VHDL
- Real-time operating system kernels
- Development tool creation: linkers, compilers, editors, etc.
- Experience working in fields relating to physical or earth sciences, particularly involving measurements, data collection, and data processing
- Master's degree in Electrical Engineering or Computer Engineering
- 3+ years of relevant practical experience
This is an office environment where 90% or more of the time will be spent on a computer.
Sitting for extending periods. Standing, bending, and twisting consistent with normal business operations in an office setting. Use of desktop PC for extended periods during a standard workday.
Want to know more about Campbell Scientific, the culture, and more? Use the following YouTube link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hiH_2Mrkmo
Want to see what other opportunities there are to join our team? Visit CampbellSci.com/open-positions
The above statements describe the general nature and level of work being performed in this job function. This is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties and indeed additional responsibilities may be assigned.
Campbell Scientific is an EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other status protected by law.
Keywords: Campbell Scientific, Inc., Logan , Embedded Systems Engineer, Other , Logan, Utah
here to apply!